Menu NASA AZ Home Home Schedule Contact About

Go Back   NASA AZ > General > Photos And Media > Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park - Main (NASA Configuration)

Old 01-30-2017, 09:29 PM

Saturday WHP Main

DE4 4th session

More to come as I load them...
- Underpowered lump between the fenders
- 9500 miles on 17 tracks and counting
Old 01-30-2017, 11:04 PM

DE2 early session, with a Stingray, Camaro, Impala, Golf, M3 and Lancer

Last edited by MFE; 01-30-2017 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:32 AM

DE2 session 2, with a black Camaro, a white Camaro, two IS300's, MINI Cooper, Lancer, Golf, Miata, M3

- Underpowered lump between the fenders
- 9500 miles on 17 tracks and counting
Old 01-31-2017, 07:07 PM

Thumbs up HPDE3 Video

Here's one from inside C7 Z06 running HPDE 3. Session 2 on Sunday 1/29. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVIaVW956iI
Old 02-01-2017, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPK View Post
Here's one from inside C7 Z06 running HPDE 3. Session 2 on Sunday 1/29. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVIaVW956iI
I'd like to say after watching the video that your car is awesome and makes one of the best noises I've ever heard from a car. Also that car is extremely fast everywhere and 158mph on the straight is insane

Few things I noticed about the video and your overall track driving though:

1. Try to be a little smoother on the throttle, I know that car makes a billion horsepower and it's hard to tame but traction control was going nuts coming out of every corner. Once you're ready to turn off the driver aids you'll realize how much they are keeping the car under control.

2. Remember to get your gear changes done before the corner, lots of times I saw you downshifting right on the exit of a corner. Get it done early so you can focus on carrying speed in the corner and getting back on the gas.

3. Also try to use all of the track, lots of times I saw you leave a good 15-20 ft. on the exit of a corner. That's just lost time and using the whole track to keep your speed up will equal faster lap times. Coming on to the straight was where I noticed this the most.

4. Try focusing more on getting the lines down a little more. I noticed the lines seemed very inconsistent on any given lap, get those lines down pat and the lap times will fall. One place I noticed this specifically was entering turn 1, you were already on the inside of the turn before the apex. Try to stay mid track there on entry and tighten it up as you get closer to the apex, you were basically "early apexing" as we like to say while instructing.

5. The three wide pass at the 15:10 mark seemed a bit unnecessary IMO, that car has so much power that you could have waited until the BMW got around and you would have had plenty of time to still get the pass done. Going three wide on a narrow straight with walls on both sides is a little dangerous. Remember you aren't going for lap times in HPDE, you're focusing on learning how to drive faster.

Besides that I'd say for being in HPDE 3 you're doing great, these are just some things I wanted to share with you for constructive criticism... not meant to be rude in any way shape or form. Hope to see that car back on track soon!
#461 TTC Integra
Instructor
HPDE 4 Arizona Regional Champion
Old 02-05-2017, 04:59 AM

Thanks for the feedback! That was my second weekend ever on a race track and I certainly have a ton to learn. If you're open to it, I'd love for you to hop in with me during a session to help me get my skills and track etiquette dialed in a little better.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback! That was my second weekend ever on a race track and I certainly have a ton to learn. If you're open to it, I'd love for you to hop in with me during a session to help me get my skills and track etiquette dialed in a little better.
Absolutely! I don't think I'll be at the Chuckwalla event unfortunately but I'll be at the march event for sure! If you're gonna be at that event I'll make sure to come find you. East is a fun little track if you haven't driven it yet, here's my Integra doing a lap there for reference... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4y-eypAG9Pk
#461 TTC Integra
Instructor
HPDE 4 Arizona Regional Champion
Old 02-14-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how'd you manage to get in DE3 on your 2nd ever weekend on track?
Old 02-21-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Out of curiosity, how'd you manage to get in DE3 on your 2nd ever weekend on track?
Not real sure man, I just kind of went with it... I moved up every couple sessions based on recommendations from instructors and group leaders... In fact, this past weekend in Chuckwalla Jason approached me to do a check ride to move me up to HPDE 4 and both him and Ravi gave the sign off for that.... but, as with the other times, the instructor came to me and said it was time to move up - I didn't ask for the advancement.

On a side note, I guess 2nd weekend on a track isn't totally accurate; I went through a weekend of Ron Fellows Corvette Racing School after I purchased the car (GM sends you through when you buy Z06)... so I guess it was my 3rd weekend on track technically speaking... 2nd with NASA.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:57 PM

Great Job!

Luke, you did great this weekend at WHP East just as I knew you would. I watched you quite a bit from the sidelines and on track as its hard to miss when you are out there. Lets see the video of some of your best laps, can't wait to see your improvement from Main.