Menu NASA AZ Home Home Schedule Contact About

Go Back   NASA AZ > General > General Discussion

Old 01-02-2018, 04:08 PM
TT Co-Director; January 2009 Member of the Month

Reservoir shocks have always had a big penalty in the lower classes under the points system, so it shouldn't be a surprise that that remains. There will naturally be a trend to keep the high-dollar stuff out of the lower classes, and that's a fairly obvious one. The fact that there are cheap versions of reservoir shocks doesn't mean they should be exempt from the rule, it means when you build a car for a lower class you don't use those.

Eric Jacobsen
'The Enforcer"
Old 01-02-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOboy View Post
Reservoir shocks have always had a big penalty in the lower classes under the points system, so it shouldn't be a surprise that that remains. There will naturally be a trend to keep the high-dollar stuff out of the lower classes, and that's a fairly obvious one. The fact that there are cheap versions of reservoir shocks doesn't mean they should be exempt from the rule, it means when you build a car for a lower class you don't use those.
Eric makes a good point. Something that is VERY often overlooked is the difference of getting a car to fit into class and building a car to a class. You can not expect a car that just 'fits' in a class to be optimized (nationally competitive).

Additionally, I really don't see the need for a remote shock in that level class as a quality non-remote damper performs exceptionally well.

I would recommend to folks in the position as these guys listed above is to get out there competiting first (down on HP / overweight or not) and find the limits of their equipment and driving. Then make the determination if they want to go all in with that chassis/class/etc.

Just my 2 cents..
Old 01-04-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motul 47X View Post
Eric makes a good point. Something that is VERY often overlooked is the difference of getting a car to fit into class and building a car to a class. You can not expect a car that just 'fits' in a class to be optimized (nationally competitive).

Additionally, I really don't see the need for a remote shock in that level class as a quality non-remote damper performs exceptionally well.

I would recommend to folks in the position as these guys listed above is to get out there competiting first (down on HP / overweight or not) and find the limits of their equipment and driving. Then make the determination if they want to go all in with that chassis/class/etc.

Just my 2 cents..
This is what has been running through my head as I have been reading this discussion as well.

I don't have enough experience with most of these cars to be able to comment on the various modification factors that are being assessed for certain things, but if there is really a disparity then we should raise those concerns to Greenbaum along with reasons/data for requesting a change. I will look to those concerned to compile the justifications and data. There have already been a few technical bulletins/revisions, so don't think that the rules are fully set-in-stone at this point, if there is compelling reason to change.

The other issue is people expecting to be able to "drop in" to a class with a car that they have, as-configured right now. While I understand that this is a barrier to entry to some degree, it's an unrealistic expectation (at best) to not have to make some changes to fit a (any?) given ruleset.
It's certainly a double-edged sword as it may deter some people from entering a particular class--but if a driver is not willing to make a few (non-drastic) changes to fit, then maybe they weren't that serious about getting on-board in the first place.

For those that are interested in signing up, I (and Jeremy, TT Leader) would be happy to help make sure you are getting the most out of your car for what the rules allow (plan-of-attack wise).
#41 ST2 Mustang

Last edited by ArizonaGT; 01-04-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOboy View Post
Trust me I know, that's why on my TTC car we revalved my Ksports without doing an external reservoir even though my boss wanted to. The point was that single canister shocks can be made to work just as well it just takes more work to do so. The .7 power to weight hit is still far too big for an external resevoir canister. The best external reservoir shocks in the world will not outrun a very well setup single canister shock with a .7 power to weight difference.

I also tell every HPDE guy not to modify their car until they start planning out a competition class but unfortunately things like this happen where they just buy what they want. No doubt there should be an expectation to have to change some things on the car to be at a competitive level but my issue is with how extreme these power to weight adjustments are.

I assume some of these power to weight adjustments will be reduced in future rule updates.
#461 TTC Integra
Instructor
HPDE 4 Arizona Regional Champion