PDA

View Full Version : This is why you shouldn't buy a bolt in

Junior
10-27-2009, 07:52 AM
I found this on another fourm, its another reason you dont cheep out on things that are suposed to save your life.
http://i35.tinypic.com/2ppneae.jpg
That is the bolt in cage sticking through the floor.

89Rotary
10-27-2009, 10:50 AM
oh thats one of those Collapsible Role Cages, supposed to help lessen the Shock of a Crash

kcpaz
10-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Thank you for that. Right click and save-as "bolt-in roll cage fail". Scarry stuff for sure.

e46tuner
10-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Ouch! Weld-in roll bar is my next mod for sure.

leadfootgurl
10-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Weld-in.... Ftw!!

SHOboy
10-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Bolt-in is okay if done properly, but many aren't.

Here's a comparison of the Maximum Motorsports and Autopower main hoop anchors for the Mustang:

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=799662&postcount=198

Junior
10-27-2009, 02:08 PM
That is the only bolt in I have ever seen that is worth a crap.

SonicCougar99
10-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Just curious, what is the backstory on that crash and was the driver OK? Definitely a FAIL on that one, but before I drag the owner through the mud, I'd prefer to know if he's dead or not so I don't come across as inconsiderate...

BlueTeg
10-28-2009, 12:12 AM
Just curious, what is the backstory on that crash and was the driver OK? Definitely a FAIL on that one, but before I drag the owner through the mud, I'd prefer to know if he's dead or not so I don't come across as inconsiderate...

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=26027

MattS
10-28-2009, 03:47 PM
Here is a link to the story: http://jalopnik.com/5390934/mustang-cover-boy-tries-to-corner-flips-over-tire-wall

Chef
11-01-2009, 08:48 AM
4 point Autopower - not a very good public relations hit...

Dave "turtlespeed" Schutt
11-03-2009, 07:44 PM
wow!! I've always wondered what would stop them from punching through the floor if a car should land on top of it. Any word on what happened to the guy?

That accident looks like a law suit all over it.

kcpaz
11-04-2009, 04:34 AM
That accident looks like a law suit all over it.

It's sad that out society has come to the point where that is not only a possibility, but an inevitability.

Dave "turtlespeed" Schutt
11-04-2009, 07:02 AM
It's sad that out society has come to the point where that is not only a possibility, but an inevitability.

true but theres negligence in the design. Seeing as how the whole purpose of those bars is to prevent a roof from caving in on you.

kcpaz
11-04-2009, 08:22 AM
Yeah, but nobody forced the guy to purchase or install an inferior product. There are obviously better options available that for whatever reasons, he decided not to utilize. He made the choice to build a fast car with sub-standard safety equipment.

Junior
11-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Yeah, but nobody forced the guy to purchase or install an inferior product. There are obviously better options available that for whatever reasons, he decided not to utilize. He made the choice to build a fast car with sub-standard safety equipment.

I hope this kinda shit happens more often so people realise what is at stake and that it is not ok t cheep out on saftey equipment. I bet he will think twice before trying to save a couple bucks next time.

cheesefries
11-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Bolt in cages are proven to work when mounted and designed properly...http://www.bethania-garage.com/testimonials.htm

fifth
11-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Bolt in cages are proven to work when mounted and designed properly...http://www.bethania-garage.com/testimonials.htm

Bet the weight of the car has a little to do with it as well

MattS
11-06-2009, 08:37 AM
The BMW E36 that my boss from a couple of years back owned shared the car with a buddy. His buddy was at VIR a couple of years back and hit freshly dropped oil before the corner worker was able to get the condition flag out. He ended up flipping the car 6 or 7 times with it landing on the roof. The bolt in cage worked perfectly and with some help with the car back at his house, we were able to remove the bolt-in cage. The cage had not bent and looked like it could be reused. If the cage is properly designed for the particular model, it can be effective. With that said, I have a welded cage in my car because I feel that they are safer and provide better structural rigidity to the car...

phoenixR34
11-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I think there are several factors to look at here:

1. Rarely will you see a time that someone posts up saying "Hey, look how my cage saved my ass.." Weld-in or bolt-in.

2. Any cage, weld-in or bolt-in, mounted only to the floor with a 5"x5" plate, would have probably done the same thing. Walk through the pits and you'll plenty of welded in cages that are only mounted to the floor

The benefit to the monster cages Junior build is they're typically welded to the body as well, like along the A and B pillars. Making it "one" with the body, no doubt increases the effectiveness and strength.

3. 99 times out of 100, or possibly way more, bolt-in cages do what they're designed to do. Surely Joe Paluch can attest to that, as the vast majority of the 944 Spec series run bolt in cages. Most people have seen people that tip cars on the roof and walk away as well.. with bolt-in cages.

4. Some people, myself included, aren't exactly dying to weld a cage into an expensive street car that might be resold someday. Sure, it makes more sense to have a custom welded in cage, but simply having anything is going to greatly increase safety. Ignorant as it may be, I'm taking my chances with that.

There's no question that buying a nicer, welded in cage wouldn't have changed that situation.. but on the other hand, saying all bolt-in cages will do the same thing as that Mustang, isn't fair, or accurate either.

SHOboy
11-06-2009, 10:10 AM
I thought that was covered way back in post #6.

The car was essentially dropped on its roof, and the size and location of the mount just weren't up to the task. Caveat emptor when buying (and installing) safety equipment.

Bruski
11-06-2009, 03:40 PM
I hope this kinda shit happens more often so people realise what is at stake and that it is not ok t cheep out on saftey equipment. I bet he will think twice before trying to save a couple bucks next time.

I normally don't comment here but you saying that you hope this kind of thing happens more is really unacceptable! I assume you said that as a marketing ploy....

Junior
11-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I said that because I thought that guy was stupid and I hope all stupid people die.:Torch_anim: Its an example of people racing cars with out all the proper safety equipment I meant it more as learn from this guys mistakes feel better now.

travisjb
11-07-2009, 12:59 AM
I said that because I thought that guy was stupid and I hope all stupid people die.:Torch_anim: Its an example of people racing cars with out all the proper safety equipment I meant it more as learn from this guys mistakes feel better now.

Junior! found a new avatar for you! :yelrotflmao:

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu289/travisjb/hitler-baby2.jpg

kcpaz
11-07-2009, 08:30 AM
:yelrotflmao::yelrotflmao::yelrotflmao: Come on, He just said what everyone is thinking.

Junior
11-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Thats funny:yelrotflmao: