PDA

View Full Version : different was to mount sholder belts

Junior
04-27-2009, 08:50 AM
I was thinking about having bungs made and I wanted some feed back first. Do you guys prefer this style or dose it not matter? Let me know what you guys think is this something you want to add to your car?
http://i40.tinypic.com/33b3c3q.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/243hojb.jpg

claykos
04-27-2009, 09:56 AM
If there is room, it would be better to put the eye bolts straight out towards the seat. That way you are loading the bolt in tension rather than bending across the threaded shank. Although, I think those eye bolts are very strong and I have seen installations in pro cars similar to that. I personally like wrapped shoulder bolts better.

Junior
04-27-2009, 10:10 AM
Tony had said something about putting the bolts that way but I had seen the ravens wave car done like this and figured the guys who built that car knew their shit. What makes you like the wrap around more? I was thinking this would make seat removal faster and belt adjustment easier.

claykos
04-27-2009, 10:32 AM
It definitely makes changing belts easier. Adjusting the length isn't going to be any different because you are still going to be using wrap in ends for the clip in type mount and you have will have to get those at the right adjustment. Seat removal isn't a big deal because you just pop the harnesses through the holes either way.

I like the wrap around style because you aren't relying on a bolt (albeit a very BIG ASS bolt) to hold the belts.

I have also seen pro cars with this setup and I think it's probably just an ease of maintenance thing. I think they put them straight up because they don't want to use the extra room in front of the harness bar in case there is a tall driver that needs the seat way back. I'm sure the bolts are strong enough and it does more positive locate the belts left and right.

EDIT: You should look in the Schroth belt instruction manual as it has all kinds of guide lines for how far apart the belts need to be for use with a HANS - depending on how far away the seat is. With this kind of set up you are locked in...

Also wanted to add the fab work looks really nice! I can MIG decently, but I want to learn how to TIG!

Junior
04-27-2009, 12:00 PM
come by and I ll show you.

SHOboy
04-27-2009, 01:33 PM
I have also seen pro cars with this setup and I think it's probably just an ease of maintenance thing. I think they put them straight up because they don't want to use the extra room in front of the harness bar in case there is a tall driver that needs the seat way back. I'm sure the bolts are strong enough and it does more positive locate the belts left and right.

My first thought was the same as yours, that the bolts would be better loaded in tension. I think, though, that another reason to put them up like Junior has them here is so that if there's a violent crash and the seat comes back against the harness bar there's less risk of intrusion into the seat by the hardware.

claykos
04-27-2009, 01:49 PM
My first thought was the same as yours, that the bolts would be better loaded in tension. I think, though, that another reason to put them up like Junior has them here is so that if there's a violent crash and the seat comes back against the harness bar there's less risk of intrusion into the seat by the hardware.

Good point. I did not think of that.

Junior, unfortunately I'm down in Tucson so it's not too practical to come over for a lesson! Thanks very much for the offer and if I'm in town for a few days I may well take you up on it.

944-spec#94
04-28-2009, 05:40 AM
Better to use a throgh bolt and set-up like you would on the lap belts than than the eye bolt in bending like that. Even so the wrap around is easy and light. Now you were going with a 4 belt should harness these are more important.

Junior
04-28-2009, 09:28 AM
I dont think the bolt would fail. If the force was that great I think the nutcert that is stuck in 16ga. sheetmetal from the factory would rip out first.

AZ Coupe Jason
04-28-2009, 12:11 PM
I dont think the bolt would fail. If the force was that great I think the nutcert that is stuck in 16ga. sheetmetal from the factory would rip out first.

agreed.. looks amazing as always Junior..

I think the Top Bolts are better

AZ Coupe Jason
04-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Whos Civic is this?

phoenixR34
04-28-2009, 12:36 PM
I find it hard to believe those bolts/hooks will break. I would think bones will shatter in the human body before steel that thick and hardened will break.. even if it does bend, that's a lot different than breaking.

The only issue I see is that once you drill holes and use the hooks, that eliminates the option for someone *not* to use them. So if I buy a car with hooks, but would rather wrap belts (for whatever reason--spacing, belt type, or the simple fact that I might not like bolts/hooks), it's too late to go back unless the bar is replaced.

Regardless, I would almost rather have the bolts and hooks.. as Clay said, just make sure the spacing is right for the HANS requirements, since everyone who races needs a HANs these days.

Junior
04-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Whos Civic is this?

Nolan, its this car.
http://i40.tinypic.com/lz4us.jpg